Sunday, November 23, 2008

This is something I made



This was born out of me reading a lot of New York-centric magazines and blogs. I found that I couldn't get away from this word hipster but that its buzziness as a term seemed to attract people's interest, including my own. You hear it conversationally a lot too of course, but its use in legit pieces of journalism really says something about the word's functionality. For me it's more annoying to hear the term hipster than I could ever possibly be annoyed at a hipster or hipsters in general. It's annoying because the connotation is usually so spiteful. People hate hipsters. Yet in the census survey of life no one checks the hipster box. Hipsters only exist in the eye of the beholder. So Gavin McInnes is exactly right when he says that the word hipster says more about the person saying it. This truth is made even more interesting by the fact that the word itself has trouble finding an agreed upon meaning. What we have is a word with no clear meaning that confers a lot of meaning about the user (in this case who he/she considers to be a hipster). Another good point Gavin made - a point that was sacrificed during editing - is that all too often, identifying a hipster is like admitting you think that person is cooler than you. BUT interestingly enough a lot of the people in this video described a hipster as someone they consider to be much UNCOOLER than themselves, ie. a poseur. To add even more to the interesting column, 3 different people compared the word hipster to the N-word. Can you believe that? Is it crazy that I think these people aren't completely crazy?

To be fair, one of these people was Mr. McInnes who said that banning a word or having a ridiculous symbolic funeral for it just gives the word more weight. He also said that analyzing it and debating it is pointless and stupid, to which I replied that some of us wouldn't have jobs if we weren't allowed to. I was talking about myself but I think he thought I was talking about him.

No comments: